Thursday, January 15, 2004

 
I have spent quite a bit of time online, and have come across lots of people, some who are very friendly, accepting and accomodating, and some who have no tact, or no concept of how, what they says may affect others. There are also those who are never wrong... just because they say so.
If you have spent any time online and in chatrooms, you will be aware that as well as typing like this, there is a set of phrases that would mean nothing to those outside of chatspace..... well maybe those who use mobile phone texts would also know.. things such as LOL meaning laughing out loud, BRB meaning be right back, the list is endless. These tend to be used when you need to put up a response quickly,but then there are others that really grate on me .... you know like , when someone sends a message and says hru?Well of course I know what it means but for frigs sake, can't they just type how are you..... and using u and 4 in sentences , well it smacks a bit of laziness to me.How much time and energy are you saving by typing u instead of you.
Generally speaking most people seem able to make themselves understood, some use complex sentence structure and conversation, others are more simplified. And as yet I have to find anyone who hasn't made a typing error at some point. There are some though, that think chatrooms are english classes, and make a huge point of pointing out errors in grammer and spelling. This annoys me, to me ot shows a lack of understanding, a better than you attitude, an air of superiority, and more than a hint of patronising and humiliating. There are many reasons why someone's use of language may not be 'university' level( maybe the typer does not have english as a first language, maybe they have dyslexia, they may have had different life chances which may have affected their education, etc etc). So please spare a thought, and think twice before you say something that could humiliate and hurt someone, who may be making a massive effort to do what they are doing in the chatroom.

All this aside though, and maybe it makes me a hypocrite, but I find it amusing at times when names are written wrong.... I mean when you are creating a screen name, don't you look and check its right before you carry on registering it :P


This is the one that never fails to amuse me, firstly because he fails to understand women only, lesbian chatrooms, are not really meant for men, but his name conjours up some real images for me.
Sub Sissy Slave Boy uk salve boy

What on earth is a salve boy, makes me think of a super hero... like Nivea Man and salve boy the cloaked heroes. Rummaging round in ther tights for a tube of savlon or something to save the world from chapped and dry skin.
hmmmmmmmm maybe I could write an episode of Nivea Man and salve boy to the rescue.I will have a think about it.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?